Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Uncommon Cajun Cuisine in Taiwan


     
     My wife and I went to a new restaurant in Taichung called Nola Kitchen. They serve Cajun food! They are a chain with three restaurants in Taipei, two in Hsinchu, and one in Chungli. The dishes were reasonably priced.We had fried green tomatoes, blackened talapia fish, and gumbo. We also had chicory coffee. The nicest part was spending a lot of time talking about  Cajun and soul food we had in America with the waitress. Nola is missing a few dishes (like crayfish, corn fritters, collard greens, Polk salad, shrimp and grits) but, hey, this is Taiwan; we're lucky to get any good international foods at all! 
The lunch got off to a bad start because my wife felt I was taking too long to order. The bilingual menu had a-la-cart and set meals which, as I have come to know, is not always what it seems in Taiwan. For example, was the soup on the set meal the gumbo soup  or something else? It was something else.Was the dessert the key lime pie or walnut whisky on the menu or something else?  They were both not; neither pie was even available, anyway! As for the chicory coffee which I ordered, I withdrew the order because there was no pie. It turns out the chicory coffee was a free promotion, but I couldn't buy an imported can to make it at home because they were out of stock!. My wife originally wanted to order two rice dishes; jambalaya and gumbo and I balked. I wanted the fried onion tower and fried calamari and she balked. We agreed on one gumbo rice and one blackened fish; we agreed on the fried green onion and didn’t get the two other fried appetizers, and we agreed that the food was delicious and we will be going back for the Texas ribs and all.    
  Families would be happy to know there is a play area for children inside and plenty of parking on the street around the park next door and a garage nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment