Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Nothing but a Hardy Book

7-5-14 6:50am Sat. (1)
     I'm sitting outside on the patio with Latte having a coffee and English muffin. The first week in July without American Eagle classes ended well with a scooter ride with leona to the Westside. We had lunch in Ding Tai Feng and then went food shopping in Top City getting all kinds of dairy and Mexican products you can't get anywhere but there, Costco, and Jasons's in Taichung, things like ricotta cheese, Emborg butter, sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, nachos, refried beans, and salsa. Afterwards, Leona just had to go shopping in Far Eastern Dept. Store next door and left me on a couch in the basement waiting. She looked for me way after I got too bored to stay, found me coming back from a nine floor escalator trip, and took me to another boutique in the store. This boutique was at least interesting and had three or four antique English books on display as props for their clothes; a Greek New testament, volume four of a History of England, a third book, and the primo: The Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy, 1952 edition, hard bound. Beautiful! I offered to buy the book and save it from a bourgeois life as unread fodder. The salesgirl listened to Leona's request and called her boss. Her boss said 'no way.' Why? The company had bought books from a Japanese used book store. Leona bought a few blouses from them but I left disappointed. The only item in the entire department store that interested me, I couldn't buy. I wouldn’t have bought the blouses if they didn’t sell me the book, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment