Thursday, September 26, 2019

Extra Innings and Outings with Taichung Baseball


 

     Why is it that when you're sitting at home doing nothing it is worse than sitting at a ballpark doing nothing? Even watching a ballgame at home is worse than seeing it live. I made the right choice last evening with time to get to Taichung Intercontinental Stadium way before the first pitch. I saw myself sitting with Leona watching the Taiwan news and HGTV house hunters. When she came home from getting a haircut I didn't think I'd be going, but when she said she heard Brothers have been playing better, but she declined to go when I asked, I went by myself. The bike ride there is great; mostly right-of-way and the ticket is only 350-$12. The Rock Pizza, like New York’s worst, dry and salty, sucked the same price out of me with two Heineken's 85 each and an A&W Root Beer for 50, but I don't care. I had a good night. It didn't matter that the Brothers lost 12-8. I had a great seat ten rows up just left of home plate. I got home before 11:30 pm. George didn't have time to go with me; he'd rather be fucking his new girlfriend, and Mr. Ma babysits for his grandson during the week, but that's an excuse. I wouldn't ask Tim because he might say yes and be just as boring as he was on the bike ride. If Malcolm could have come with weed to smoke before the game that would have been dandy, but he doesn't live nearby, have weed, or likely like baseball. It's been so long I almost forgot how to keep a scorecard; it's been a year since I used the score book. The season is over Sunday. I can say that at least I saw one game this season after making excuses not to go since April. Luckily, there will be 'extra-innings' with international Olympic qualifying games being played in Taichung in November. I will definitely go to at least one over the five day event, Nov. 5-9, Puerto Rico vs. Venezuela, Taiwan vs. Japan; maybe another. 


Copyright © 2019 by David Barry Temple. All rights reserved 

No comments:

Post a Comment