Wednesday, December 16, 2020

辛德里咖哩 Delhi Bistro Curries Taichung

 

No. 11, Lane 155, Wenhua Road, Xitun District, Taichung City, 407

407台中市西屯區文華路15511

11AM–2PM, 5–10PM04 2452 0431

5JJW+C9 Xitun District, Taichung City

My wife and I visited my friend Bivan’s Indian restaurant near Fengjia University’s famous night market in April 2020. I had befriended Bivan on Facebook a few years before through a mutual interest in Taiwan cricket league without realizing he was a Taichung neighbor. We had never met in person so when I found out he opened a restaurant, I got in my car, found an inexpensive parking lot nearby, and went there for lunch and to meet him and try some dishes. The food was great but, unfortunately, he wasn’t there; instead we talked by phone and I took a photo, as a joke, to prove I was really there.


How pleased we were with the dishes! We started with our favorites, the best way to compare restaurants with similar dishes; the mutton saag (lamb in creamed spinach sauce) was my choice and my wife had an amazing fish curry, both with generous amounts of tasty sauce spiced to our liking, for dipping nan into. With an extensive menu of five Biriyani and salads, nine kinds of chicken curry and vegetarian each, drinks, sweet, alcoholic, hot and cold, it was hard to make up our minds.

The funniest thing was, after our visit, I slipped back into Facebook contact with my friend but couldn’t find the time to go visit soon enough. “No problem,” Bivan said, “I can deliver it to you.” Despite our living on the other side of town with a day’s notice, his restaurant came to us with, fresh, hot and spicy specialties. I cannot be too lazy to go to Delhi Bistro Curries as Bivan often has special events planned and even English meet-ups for local Taiwanese diners. The inexpensive lunch specials including rice, curry and drink are perfect for students on a budget from the university within walking distance, with more than enough portion to fill their hungry stomachs and introduce them to international foods.

We will not be strangers to Bivan or his fine cuisine anymore. In person, take-out or delivered, it breaks the mold of Chinese food and is a perfect place for a dinner or party, if you can take your eyes off the beautiful ceiling lamp and décor and stop eating long enough to gaze lovingly at your date when enjoying your meal at Delhi Bistro Curries Taichung. Vaahavaahee Bivan! And solidarity, too!  


No comments:

Post a Comment