Sunday, May 27, 2018

Cafe Des Artistes In Taichung Near Chung-Yo




With my wife still at the beautician, I left "5 Music" (the best selections of CD's in Taichung!) on San-Min Road Sec. 3, across from Chung-Yo Department Store, and turned left to find a place to sit and wait, have coffee, and look at my CD’s. Up the alley to the left I walked spotting a café called Café Des Artistes. 
 It was after lunch hour and the place was empty. I took a seat and the barista turned the air con on for me. I had just ordered coffee when my wife sent a text message that she was “here” at 5 Music. I texted her to come by and gave her the address of this mini art gallery. There are different rooms for private parties; even a room for electronic darts.
Cafe Des Artistes proprietor, a displaced Hong Konger and painter, soon arrived on the scene to welcome us. It turned out the café had been featured on TV for the  display of his playful large-eyed cartoonish paintings mimicking famous art, all subjects with a menu item such as sausages, on a stick held by Napoleon on a horse leading a charge of KMT soldiers. We chatted and were gave a tour of his four floor café/gallery with a glow-in-the-dark bathroom that revealed a secret under the clothes-clad characters when the light was out, and his rooftop art studio. 
     If you're in the neighborhood of Yi-Song Street or Taichung Park and want something more creative to be in than a hot line for overpriced coffee, check them out. I was so amused I purchased the mug of Napoleon riding a horse holding his sword high with a sausage on the tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment