Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Trip to Red Room in Taipei


7-20-14
     Yesterday, I had a nice day going to Taipei with Ariel, my twenty-eight year old. I got the biggest applause at Red Room for my rendition of "Roadhouse Blues" and the reading of "I only need to ride the river." There were about seventy people there on the second floor of a beauty salon on Da-An Street a few short blocks from Cheng-Hsiao Road near Sogo. The only kinks in the day's plan was Ariel's misunderstanding that Jeremy Lin would be at an Adidas store and Leona's giving directions to Red Room that took us a long hot twenty minutes out of our way; we should have followed the directions from the Website. I made everything right.
     It was the first time I've gone to Taipei without Leona's lead. Directions were easy and I had no problem finding places I wanted to go. We got off at Taipei Station and took the Blue train to Dun-Hua Station. Even though Jeremy wasn't there, we took some nice photos. The only annoyance was this 37 year-old woman who kept following us around and we had to talk to in English. I couldn't be rude. As soon as Ariel took my advice and asked someone in the store when Jeremy would be there, we left to go to the Eslite bookstore a few blocks away. Ariel stood looking at his smart phone throughout the stay in the bookstore so I thought we'd better leave so we could interact more. We got back on the train and went to the Green line Gung-guan station at Taiwan University for Thai food for lunch. Ariel gave the food a B+ but I thought it was swell. We left in the heat and walked a few blocks to the Water Park. In there, the children danced in the water attractions but Ariel and I went to a shady bench to sit and I practiced playing and reading for the evening's event.
     We left the park because Ariel had to go to a bathroom and recharge his phone somewhere. We got back on the train and took it to find Red Room. I followed Leona's incorrect directions and we ended up taking a Brown light-rail two stops that we shouldn't have. We had to walk back in the steaming street twenty minutes and finally found the venue. When we arrived at 3:30, they were in the midst of a children's show. We sat down inside on the rug and I cooled my feet. I got sentimental watching the double children from mixed marriages more common now that it was in 1984-89 when Simone, Ariel, and later Renna were the focus of unwanted attention. There is still a stupid thrill about their children in Taiwan from the ignorant public. It was nice they could just be themselves in Red Room playing a performing as a few did. 
     Ariel was hungry around 5pm so we left Red Room to walk to Ding Hao. I suggested we go to the food court but I wasn't hungry after the big lunch. Ariel went to get himself food and I looked long and hard for a place for us to sit. I finally found one. Ariel sat down and ate. I told him I was going to get a Cold Stone Creamery ice cream and went. When I got back, he was gone from the seat and someone else had taken them. I asked him why he gave up our and found seats and he said he was finished eating. I took my ice cream and a cup of warm water upstairs and outside behind Sogo to find a place to sit and eat it. While there, I practiced the song and poem again. 
     We walked back to Red Room. Ariel is a great chatter and we spoke with a few people there. I listened to his advice from his experience with the people during his stand-up comedy presentations. He was a great supporter of me and encouraged me saying I would be the best. We discussed how I should present an introduction. I kept it short; in fact, mine was probably the shortest introduction and presentation keeping as I did the five minutes. I didn’t put my name first on the sign-up list for the open mike, at Ariel’s advice. I went on fourth. I blew the crown away with “Roadhouse Blues” and had everyone clapping in time through the scat portion of the song. I got the biggest applause.
The other acts sucked and gave mostly long boring introductions. The best act was Dreamarsene, two magicians who had done the same skit earlier for the children. Being there two and a half hours, only a half hour was entertaining. Everyone but I went way over the five minute allotment. I had two more poems prepared to read. I got four business cards and had none to exchange but Ariel chatted me up and make connections for me. He was great! During the fifteen-minute break I spoke with a dozen guests who loved my poem and song. I will keep contact with the guests through the Red Room Facebook page. I barely mentioned my short story book while I was there but I will on their Facebook page.



I saw my rendition of “Roadhouse Blues” at Red Room last evening. Hearing Ariel’s chuckles and seeing only half of my performance recorded sucked; I thought at least he had recorded the whole song. He didn’t record the poem reading. He said he didn’t have enough room on his smart phone. He didn’t prepare for me enough; still too into himself. Maybe I can get a recording if Red Room did it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment