Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving in Taichung

11-27-14 7:03am Thurs. 
I made two pumpkin pies last evening. I had a slice for breakfast just now and it wasn't half bad. Here is how I made it: 
The crust was made of Walkers fine oatcakes, crushed down to crumbs and mixed with water and an egg. I then molded it around the bottom and sides of two baking trays. The oat cakes had been in our closet for months since they're not very tasty on their own; the crust could have been better if I had added some sugar.
The pumpkin filling was made with the 29oz. can of Libby's I bought at Finga's last year; I was going to make pumpkin pie last year but balked at doing it. To the mix I added four eggs, 1/2 tsp. of salt, 3 tsp. ground cinnamon, 2 tsp. nutmeg. I could find no evaporated milk so I used about 400g Nestle Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk instead and added no extra sugar. I blended the mix and put it into the crust lined  trays baking it in the toaster oven at 210c. for 15 minutes and 180c. for 45 minutes, then I let it cool overnight. 
When I return from my bike ride, I will ride over to the turkey-rice stand and the lady who bakes yams on both sides near the Taiwan Railroad crossing on Dong-Shan Road.  Right now I am going to boil a few potatoes in preparation for mashed potatoes and gravy. I will not have Stove Top stuffing which I forget to buy in Brooklyn last August. I also don't have Ocean Spray cranberry jelly so I bought a jar of locally made cranberry jam which I'll have instead. Finally, the meal will have Taiwanese sweet corn; 69NT each! The soup will be either corn soup (if Leona chooses to make it) or split pea soup from Kauffman's in Intercourse, PA. I want to save the matzo ball soup for next month's Hanukkah dinner. 
This dinner is my desire; Leona could do without it. The roasted turkey we bought last year was good but wasted on a transient and uncaring staff at American Eagle; worst of all, the boss and her husband invited themselves and their two children. Some gifts of pastries, fruit, and beer were brought. In all rights, I shouldn't be celebrating the day the Europeans settled in North America and began their assault on the natives, but it's in my culture since I was a child. I remember the feeling of being together with Bubby, Pop, Auntie Ray, Uncle Joe, Kenny and Raymond on the holiday. It was dysfunctional, it was chaotic, but it was my family. Dad left for Florida, my sister left 'Zimbabwe' for Japan, and finally the dinner tradition was continued at Mom's and then at our home in Sheepshead Bay. Now, Simone and Renna will celebrate with their boyfriends' families. Ariel said he may find a restaurant that served turkey dinner (though I wonder if he's talking through his hat again) and Amanda will feel some effect from Thanksgiving in New York City, though not necessarily a turkey dinner. 







No comments:

Post a Comment