Friday, April 1, 2016

Teacher Zhang's Feng-Jia Coffee Friend

3-12-16
After Mandarin class this morning, I said I would go to a coffee shop near Feng-Jia University called Cantata Kahve. Huang De-Ray is the Chinese name of a Turkish ex-pat who’s taught by Amber Zheng. She heard me complain about how I have no one to practice Mandarin with and thought she would introduce me to him. She would meet us there. I hope it isn’t raining (as it has been the past four days) so I can be in the mood to ride there; with the new route and it being out of the way, it will be a task that I don’t need. I will play it by ear and ride home if it is raining after class.


3-14-16
I didn’t go to the coffee shop near Feng-Jia University after Mandarin class. I was all set to go, weather permitting, but Leona sent a Line message that her sister was coming to visit at 2pm. I knew she was coming but Leona hadn’t reminded me when I mentioned going to the coffee shop. Her sister called at noon to say she was coming at 2:00. Leona said it was okay if I went to the coffee shop anyway but I felt it was only right that I be there with her at her brother’s place to greet her sister, Chip’n’Dale, and the kids. Miss Zheng understood. I will probably go next Saturday after class whether she goes too or not. 


3-20-16

I rode the bike twenty minutes from National Taichung University of Education (NTCU) to the coffee shop near Feng-Jia University of Teacher Zheng’s Turkish exchange student. The French “hippie” (as he was called by the dull Turk) in the jewelry shop next door would have been more fun to chat with, but I was polite; Teacher Zheng meant well in introducing us, though I doubt I will go back there again or even contact him on Facebook. Though I was there at 12:45, Ms. Zheng wasn’t and the shop was closed. I waited and she arrived discovering the shop opened at 2:00. I left to disappear and was called sitting at a Taiwan pizza a block away at 1:30 that the shop was opened so I returned only to find the Turk had taken the dog for a long walk. At two we finally all sat together, talking in Mandarin, mostly about me, I was bored by 3:15 and said it was time for my nap. It took thirty-five minutes to ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment