Sunday, February 17, 2013

First New Year guests

Leona’s cousin and her two teenage children, male and female, came by after 9pm. I had to ask Leona to call and ask them when they were coming. I didn’t want to eat the leftovers (fuck the salmon) when they were coming. Reluctantly, Leona called. After they came, they sat in the living room. I had suggested earlier that I we get ice cream for whoever comes but Leona said it was cold outside and that wouldn’t be necessary. I was going to make hot cocoa. After they arrived, she asked them if they wanted ice cream and they said yes. I had to go downstairs to buy a pint of ice cream. I suggested I make a dish with Japanese crapes and a drizzle of maple syrup with the hot cocoa and whipped cream with nutmeg and cinnamon, and Leona agreed. It turned out to be the most delicious dish the three had had, but no one said thank you or commented until I asked them. I guess I had to look to see if they were eating to know if they liked it or not. I guess a ‘thank you’ comment was not in their habit, or maybe Leona didn’t translate for me their reaction. After that, feeling tired and out of place, I went back into the kitchen to cut up some guava and bring out the Chilean cherries we had. Leona did none of the preparation for snacks for the guests. Earlier, when I suggested we use the candy dish we bought to put out some of the snacks we got for the new year, she said’ it wasn’t time yet.’ (It was only New Year’s Eve. Duh.)  The cousin was just ‘dropping by’ to bring some rice cakes. She just happened to bring her two teenage children unannounced and stay for two hours! By the way, I also chose to wash the dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment