Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fourth Day of the Lunar New Year


What was cooking was Leona’s cousin was coming by at 1pm to take us out for lunch at a coffee shop she knew. It turns out she knew the coffee shop because it was owned by the cousin of her deceased husband. She picked us up with her college-aged son (I forgot his name); his sister was “angry about something” and stayed home. We drove down Tai-Yuan Road to the other side of town and headed to the Westside. We drove all over the place because Leona’s cousin didn’t know how to get to her in-law’s coffee shop. It was pretty boring except I was paying attention to the streets. We went so many ways after Taichung Port Road (soon to be renamed Taiwan Road) that I lost track and direction. We finally arrived at the two-week-old Tommyboy (sic.) coffee house with “flavorfull” food except there wasn’t much selection to be had. I ended up eating a slice of white bread with garlic-oregano spread. Leona had a waffle that was crunchy outside and raw inside. The cappuccino in paper cups wasn’t bad but the conversation in Mandarin and Taiwanese between Leona, her cousin, and nephew was too boring to try understanding. All the other customers were relatives, too, and occasionally one would come by our table and say hello. We sat there too long and l felt was fatigue in the car. We were going to eat somewhere but Leona and I weren’t hungry yet. I suggested we eat later at our house where I would make spaghetti and meatball dinner that had come up in the conversation earlier; why wait for a separate engagement? To give her husband a rest, Leona suggested we drive home and not stop off at her cousin’s apartment, but we drove there anyway, in Beitun near the abandoned Taichung airport to pick up her cousin’s daughter who wasn’t angry anymore and wanted to join us for dinner.

By the time we got back to our place four hours later (it seemed like more) it was five o’clock. I didn’t want to go up to rest in bed while they chatted in the living room. It was more restful to get my ears away from their mouths and take a walk to the bakery and supermarket on Dong-Shan Road. I took my time walking there and back and was glad I had something to keep me in the kitchen. Leona made the meatball mix, salad, and set the table. I cooked and poured the wine, another bottle of the same Spanish Merlot we got from 7-11! The dinner was excellent. The cauliflower came out well and we dipped dinner rolls instead of Italian bread into the olive oil seasoned dip.

After dinner, they sat in the living room and chatted some more. I sat at the table and commented occasionally when Leona filed me in. I printed two photos of 60 Cayuga Street in Seneca Falls when the ladies were talking about real estate. I tried to be polite (not that anyone would have cared) but finally left to lie down in the bedroom. I came out but left again a few more times to save my soul. Leona had a wonderful day but all I did was behave. At least it was better than doing nothing all day which is what we probably would have done if there wasn’t someone to do nothing with. The only good part of the day was riding the bike, cooking and eating dinner. The rest I did for Leona’s sake. After they left, Leona did the dishes and I went to take a real nap.

 By 2:30am, I wasn’t sleep and started having writing ideas for Taiwan Wieners and Losers. I came into the home office to begin writing the fifth short story of the book. It is tentatively called “The Vast Sea of Life in Taiwan.” It is about the random people around me on scooters while I wait for a light to change, their brave lives as oppressed people in their own homeland, victims of the KMT Chinese, industrialization, and American bourgeois materialism. The personality sketches will come from Chinese Working Class Lives by Hill Gates. I will take the nine people she interviewed, modify them, and bring them back to life. They will travel through their histories, remembering every face that put them here, and end up with me on my bicycle, they on their scooters, waiting for the light to change on a smoky, crowded, Taichung road. I’m using the ocean motif because I was reading Pi for so long. I don’t know if I’ll carry it through. So long as I don’t mix metaphors, it will be okay.

Leona left a half hour ago to go spend time alone with her Tainan friend at a coffee shop in Tan-Zih. I’m going to bring Sweeney-Poo upstairs now, read my book, and then come down to ride the bike. I want to check out the Taichung street map again and find some new places to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment