Monday, March 23, 2015

Filthy Skies and No Rain

3-23-15 

     I see no sun this morning in the hazy Taichung sky. I long for a sunny day and fear I may not see one again so long as I live in Taichung. Even a few years ago when we moved here the sky seemed clearer. Regular rain showers cleaned the air and made it fresh with typhoons blowing away the smog from China. With 30% from China, 30% from local Taichung manufacturers and the rest from local vehicular traffic, especially thousands of un-inspected scooters, being in a historical 67 year drought with no typhoons last year, all the building construction, and cutting down of trees has made Taichung's air extremely bad. I've worn a mask when I ride the bike or take Leona's scooter from the start and it has saved my lungs perhaps, it can't save my eyes from the beauty that has been be smudged. I long to get out of Taichung for a while to see the sky again.
  Monday morning in Taichung and the streets are swollen with the unfortunate workers on way to their jobs, students on way to their schools. I get to sit on the outdoor patio and listen to their motors rev down the streets, looking for the sun over the eastern mountains. I don't work but I am a victim of the pollution of those who do. Latte is happy snooping around, finding bugs to toy with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment