Monday, March 23, 2015

Lunar New Year 2-18-15

2-18-15 
      In a short while, Leona is going back to Tan-Zih to the market for final Lunar New Year foodstuff. She wants to go back to buy intestines. I like to go for the holiday bustle; I could take some photos for Facebook. But she prefers to go alone. I’ll go ride my bike.
      I spent three hours cleaning the window and mailboxes in our condo’s lobby. I also chipped twenty years of tape off the walls. People put things up but don’t clean it when they take it down. I polished the stainless steel around the first floor elevators.
      I Bcc’ed a video of a flash mob singing at the Ban-Chao train station to almost everyone on my johnnyshortwave e-mail list and wished all a Happy Lunar New Year.


2-19-15 
     The firecrackers have been being lit in Taichung since last evening as Lunar New Year manifests itself. Leona's sister asked her over the phone why she was doing so much New year food shopping when there was only me and her at home. Leona just likes the feeling of being one with the New Year at home, a feeling she missed in New York for twenty years. It is a warm feeling of childhood memories, just as I must have turkey dinner on Thanksgiving and potato latkes on Hanukkah, not to mention matzos on Passover. There are many foods we wouldn't buy all year long that we indulge in for the Lunar New Year week. 

     Last evening we were invited to dinner again at Leona's brother's home; usually the daughter doesn't return home for dinner until the third night. I have no family here and even if I did, they wouldn't be celebrating this date as the New Year; for Jews, it would be Yom Kippur in September, the harvest before winter, not the end of winter as it is in Asia. I celebrate three new years each year. Isn't that great? 

2-23-15
     Today is the last day of the Lunar New year vacation. Most stores will be reopening today accompanied by superstitious firecracker fire to scare the evil spirits, offerings to encourage the flow of wealth, simply noise and smoke to me and my cats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment