Saturday, April 13, 2013

They Took Back My Driver's License!!!


3-21-13 7:46am Thurs. (1)
Last week, a few days after Leona left for Brooklyn, I got a phone call in Mandarin from someone asking for me. I couldn’t quite understand what he was saying but it sounded serious. I told him Leona would be back Tuesday and to call back then. He did call back yesterday morning but Leona hadn’t arrived yet. I told him to call back after noon. When Leona got home, around 1:30pm, I told him that guy called back again and she decided to call him back and find out what he wanted. I had been waiting to find out for a week but she didn’t call him from Brooklyn. It turns out the bureaucrats at DMV had given me a drivers’ license in error! It wasn’t supposed to happen that way and the dickhead’s supervisor wanted him to get the license back from me! Leona argued with the moron on the phone saying that they should get their acts together and have one policy that everyone knows instead of ambiguity. I remember that day at DMV a month ago when four bureaucrats caucused at the copy machine to try and figure out how to give a New Yorker with Taiwan residency a local driver’s license. It turns out the only way for me to have one is through an International Drivers License issued by the Automobile Association of America; AAA. By the time I got back from American Eagle classes, the schmucks had come to our house to get the license back. He must have been shitting bricks the past few weeks hoping I didn’t get into a car accident in which case he would be fired for giving me an illegal license to drive! He gave Leona back the paperwork and 200NT transaction fee, too. I asked Leona to make a copy of the Taiwan driver’s license before she surrendered it and she made the copy in black and white; I was hoping it would be in color. I suggested Leona call the TV station, since she was so mad, and make a case out of their ineptness. I reminded her we are not here in Taiwan to change their fucked up ways; only to be retired and enjoy the food, but it would have been cool to see our story on TV or in the papers; her friend Peggy is an Apple Daily news reporter!

3-21-13 7:46am Thurs. (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment