Thursday, May 30, 2013

Shuang-Wen JHS Singing Contest

4-24-13
In the afternoon, Leona will go with me as I judge an English singing contest being conducted by her older Feng-Yuan cousin’s publishing company. They needed someone in an emergency as the regular judge stiffed them. They will pay me 800NT ($26us) an hour and I’ll be there from 1-3:30pm. Her cousin will pick us up and drop us off back home.
I had an interesting experience yesterday at Shuang-Wen Junior High School. I was one of eight judges (three of them Caucasian) of an English song choral singing contest. The winner will represent their school in a city-wide contest. We were seated at a table in the front of the large auditorium where at least sixteen classes with more than five hundred students carried in little blue folding chairs on the gym floor and balcony to watch their classmates sing and wait their turn to sing themselves. We had to judge the groups based on pronunciation (50%) tune (30%) “liveliness (sic.) and creativity of the content” (10%) and team spirit (10%). The best team sang “Were All in This Together” and got a 90% from me; they were my best team, too. The funniest teams sang “Beauty and the Beast,” the Beast a young man with duct-tape x-ed across his nipples (taboo) and a group dressed in black incinerator bags to look like monks and nuns who sang “I Will Follow Him,” reverently and then rocked out! At the end of the performance, each judge had to use the microphone to address the audience with our reaction and advice. I gave my two-minute review of their pronunciation (watch the high vowel sounds and word linkage”) in Mandarin. I guess they understood me!
      Leona’s male cousin from Feng-Yuan picked us up and drove us back. The publishing company he works for was one of the sponsors of the contest.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment