Thursday, June 18, 2015

Back in Taichung after the Brooklyn House Sale

5-19-15 
     Facebook is so unreal but it's good enough to kill someone you would like to but don't want to go to jail for. 
There's no sense telling anyone the truth and filling your mind with their existence, but 'ignoring' is a power taken away from you by corporate media. Why can't I block CNN and other apologists for market capitalism the way I block the fools who friended me? Why even snipe at folk who don't know how transparently rude they are?
     It is good to be back in Taiwan and good that there is no more crap associated with 1210 Ave Y. The last inconvenience was the slime-ball junk-men leaving the rest of the junk in the garden. Vinny wrote that Mr. Saadia "understands" it was out of my control. When you live in NYC, many things are out of residents' control. Service is bad, slow, or absent until an agency blindly accuses you; then the auto-pilot leaves you no recourse. I think I will protest the $100 fine for discarding the TV.
     I brought the onion bagel to Red Rob last evening. I did a lot of bike riding yesterday starting with the ride to Mandarin tutoring, to American Eagle, and then Belling's. Today I will ride up the Han River. I should go early, say 8am, before it gets too hot; it was 34 degrees yesterday. Later I'll bring the bike in to get air and the gears adjusted; they've been slipping. 
     Leona brought Yun-Yang and Yun-Shen the 70's Marvel and Action comics I found in the box in the closet in the basement hallway. Long ago, Alan Dulfon had sifted through the hundreds of comics left to me by Kenny Zekowsky and found valuable ones. They were in that box. Leona said Jia-Hui commented that the cartoon didn't look like Spiderman; that was funny since she was looking at the original drawings. I gave Jia-Hua a Skybar, Mallo Cups, and Hello Kitty candy box.

      Most of the knickknacks are unpacked and put into their eternal places. The Yuengling beer label stands on a book shelf between an AC/DC shot glass and souvenir flag-draped four-inch Statue of Liberty. Aunt Ray’s plastic silhouettes wall-dancers await deployment on the enclosed patio wall next to the Gary Cooper/Ingmar Bergman photograph. Sixty-nine cork wine caps line the inclining ledge above the tempered-glass windows, the seltzer bottle and 78’s sit on the bookcase, two relics, one still useful on the crank 78 Gramophone nearby. Three major league baseball bats remain in the cardboard box until I have a rack to display then in the tea room. Two View-Master viewers will probably become part of my teaching tricks: look inside and describe the slide. Whoever draws the better recreation, as judged by a panel of me and two students from opposing teams, wins. That’s how it goes with knickknacks. A candelabra reproduction of a Notre Dame gargoyle keeps company with the kachina on the electric fireplace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment