Thursday, June 18, 2015

Passover in Taipei

I got an e-mail Feb. 4 from Rabbi Shlomi in Taipei. Here’s what he wrote:
 I was reading your blog (which is a very interesting and well written if I may add) after searching for something else in the Internet (you know how it works...)I wanted to ask: are you still in Taichung? Would love to connect if you have time.  Hoping to hear from you back...
Hi Rabbi: I am retired in Taichung with my wife. We regret not meeting you when you came down on the Hanukkah holidays; maybe next time you're in town, we can get together. Be well, David
Thanks so much for your reply! I would love to meet with you next time I’m in town! What’s your phone number? Will give you a call when I know when I’m coming. Looking forward to hearing back from you…
Hi Rabbi: Send me an e-mail when you're planning to come. Be well. David


           I am not ready for phone conversations with a rabbi. Religious people are generally too conservative and bigoted for me to like. Dr. Rabbi Einhorn, who is 93 and still living in Taipei, was an exception. He helped me a lot with my family and then condoning my separation with the kids from my ex. The first question I would ask Rabbi Shlomi would be about him. 


3-16-15 
     I would like to go the Passover Seder in Taipei on Friday April 3rd. The dinner would cost 1,200NT for one person but I would also have to spend $50us to get to Taipei and back by HSR. Leona doesn't even want me to invite Joe Cooperman and family over here for a Seder. Leona is shy to meet new people. It doesn't bother me. I can go by myself as I did to synagogue in Brooklyn every year for Rosh Hashanah but that was something you do alone, anyway with the women segregated in the conservative temple and no talking inside (like anyone followed the rules.) We always celebrated Passover at home with the children, even the minimal ceremony. Leona was fine with that and even contributed to cooking. I bring it up again because I received an e-mail reminder this morning. I will be regretful if I don't go. I will ask Leona again when she is fully awake, when I get back from Mandarin tutoring. I don't want to get angry with her because of it. If she agrees to let me make a Seder with the Coopermans here (even if they decline) I won't go to Taipei.


 Leona and I are going to Jeou-Fen the four-day weekend of April 3-7. That Friday is the Passover Seder in Taipei. During Hakka lunch yesterday, I suggested Leona and I attend it on the way to Jeou-Fen. She didn't disagree so it looks like we are going to the Seder. She couldn't argue with it or say I was becoming religious in my old age because we had celebrated Passover every year with the kids in Brooklyn. I am pleased she accepted my plan. 


4-5-15 


Leona and I just got back from three days up north in and in Taipei; went to a place called Jeou-Fen, a former mining town on the mountainside with long tourist alleys. It was on a Thursday so most tourists hadn't gotten off of work or school yet; it's the only time to go travelling in Taiwan if you don't want to get trampled or in a traffic jam. The next day we had Passover Seder with a hundred Jews, mostly from Israel, and a rabbi from Hong Kong originally from Brooklyn. It was a nice dinner (tasted kosher, Leona said) and light on the prayers, thank God.
Click for Options






No comments:

Post a Comment