Thursday, June 18, 2015

P.J.'s Open Mike on Soho Street

   Red Rob is playing at an open mike at a place in Taichung this Saturday evening. He sent me an invitation. I'm going. . I will bring my blues harp just in case there is room for me to blow a tune or join Red Rob. Who knows? I should resign myself to just going there for friendship and entertainment though. 
     I am still disappointed about the shabby treatment I got from Trevor at Red Room in Taipei in October and have no plans to return unless it is something special. 

5-31-15 

     I went to the corner of the alley where Salut Pizza is and sat outside P.J's with about nine people including Red Rob, his girlfriend, Andres, Austin, to drink beer, eat tasteless German sausage and potato, and listen to blues. I played along on my new blues harp to a song and later did my rendition of Roadhouse Blues. I could have done Stormy Monday but Red took the vocals away and played in a key my 'A' harp would join. It was a nice evening, without Leona who opted to go with her cousin to see an old singer who converted at a church and was regretful. 
6-14-15 

      I rode the bike to P.J.’s again last evening. Red Rob called for an open mike again. I was out all afternoon with Leona near Chung Yo for lunch, to get new ear-bud headphones, and to get fitted for a tooth cap and was tired when we got home at 5:30pm because of the heat, but I rested for an hour and rode off to the Westside. I met Hank, a teacher here from NYC who spent a year in Norman Thomas H.S. and a number of other ex-pats. I had three beers and disgusting chicken wings. McKenna, the owner of P.J.’s makes terrible food. McKenna told me he closes the store on July 4th to join an event in the park so I cancelled the Morrison Memorial Day I had unilaterally planned. I ended up singing “Roadhouse Blues” again on the blues harp and a truncated “Train Time.” It was fun. The next open mike will be in two weeks and then Red said there will be no more until September. On the way home, at ten o’clock (!), I stopped off at Belling’s for some leg ham and sausages. 


No comments:

Post a Comment